Artistic Inspirations

One of my favorite sculptural techniques of late is book altering. Being the local library book sale chairperson gives me the privilege of sorting through THOUSANDS of donated and discarded books, and the task of either shelving them for hopeful sale or boxing them up for a trip to the recycling center. But I've started a new category: books that were bound for the recycling center now stand a chance of coming to my classroom, where my sculpture students make them into Altered Book Sculptures. Ours tend to be a degree or two less awesome than these:
 
Outrageously Altered Books

One of my favorite artists is Chuck Close. Imagine my delight, when sorting donated, used books, to come across "Chuck Close: Self-Portrait/Etching Portfolio 2000"!!! Aside from my admiration for Chuck for overcoming his formidable obstacles, I just plain admire his work. I can study a Chuck Close portrait for hours. 




Letter to Myself at 14--Chuck Close 

Comments