Watercolor WWII (I think)

In my quest to find interesting faces to paint, I came upon Historically Speaking, Kelsey's beautifully-crafted website focused on historical reenacting. Kelsey is a fabulous photographer, and her portraiture is out-of-this-world. Please, check it out!

Kelsey was gracious enough to allow me to use her photographic portraits as inspiration for a series of painted portraits. 
the grey around the perimeter? shadows.
Look here for the reference photo.

About those shadows: I am a newbie to watercolor painting, and I have yet to do the whole soak-the-paper-stretch-it-staple-it-onto-subsurface business. I don't know how. Come on, Self. There is no excuse for this type of thing anymore. It's probably right there on YouTube! So my paper does get warpy, and those gray shadows show up on scans of my work. Note to self: Do some research.


Comments