Corona and Cardboard

Yes, Cardboard, as in the brown corrugated and sometimes taped-over and dirty container that the booty of your bored-at-home shopping sprees come contained in.

In an attempt to make paintings that don't even have a prayer of being keepers, archival or precious, I've taken to painting on corrugated cardboard squares cut from boxes. I've been painting them with two coats of acrylic gesso, and then having a go at mostly, portraiture.

And who have I painted? I usually pull a reference photo of someone I admire or someone I think is attractive, because--just because. Then I become frustrated with myself and my skills because my painting of them is neither attractive nor is it a recognizable likeness.

SO this series of painted portraits begins as one of people that I DON'T admire and they are also not particularly attractive, in the common sense of the word. Enjoy. I did, with relatively little anxiety, as I painted.


oil paint on cardboard box scrap, 12" x 12"
photo taken on living room rug

Comments