I Need Some Sun, and Experimentation

watercolor in sketchbook

She's pale, yes, and she could use a little sunshine and it's vitamin D benefits. So could I!
This sketch is based on a vintage black and white photograph.


I finally started in on the little 4" x 6" sample of Ampersand Aquaboard that's been staring at me from the corner of my desk for a while now:

4" x 6" watercolor on Aquaboard
(this photo is kind of bleached out)

It was quite different than paper and I found it impossible to get a smooth, uniform wash (note the blobbular grass) But when I gave in to that and decided on "going with the flow" of this new-to-me substrate, I liked the effect and loosened up trying to shade details.

I'm definitely going to use Aquaboard again. When I can justify the expense! It's considerably more costly than even a comparable sized sheet of Arches.


Comments