In progress, at the moment...
watercolor, image about 9" x 12" 
I'm painting this image of brotherly/sisterly/dog love from a very old photo, on request, and it's a struggle! I really do love painting portraits, and when I do, I tend to start with a pencil sketch, move on to a big brush and some loose washes, and then zoom in with the details when the washes are dry.

That's with faces--maybe faces and a hand or two--on 8" x 10" or 9" x 12" paper. MUCH larger scale.

This painting whole bodies/more than one being/things get tiny AND their faces must be recognizable, not generic, is challenging, to say the least. In truth, this is the third attempt from the reference photo. Here's number two, which I wrecked with a sickly green background. What was I thinking!?! (I was thinking: contrast.)
watercolor, image about 9" x 12"


Comments