Two New

In an effort to get some edumacation, I signed up for Robert O'Brien's one day landscape watercolor painting workshop in Vermont. It was a 2 hour drive from home, and Ron and I treated it as a little vacation--me and paint, and he and fishing. Or panning for gold?! I had a great time at the workshop, and I felt that it confirmed that my technique was valid. 

So I came home and started a watercolor landscape, from a photo I'd taken at the farm.

But I am really, really, not hepped up about painting landscapes, as much as I admire painted landscapes. This thing is dull, dull, dull and uninspired. Maybe it needs a red canoe.

Today, after tweaking the dull landscape, I pulled up a photographic portrait from Wilson Freeman's beautiful blog, and I set out to paint it a la Citizen Sketcher's annual Edgar Allen Poe experiment. Here's a progress shot.
Loose and easy, no initial pencil sketch. I am way more interested in portraiture than landscapture, it seems. Stay tuned to see how this guy comes out!


Comments