EDUCATION, PERSERVERENCE...LUCK

Friday, July 25, 2014

And One More

about 5" x 7" gouache on handmade paper
Today's gouache experiment is from a self portrait of and by Anders Zorn, the Swedish watercolorist and oil painter. (Coincidentally, James Gurney posted about Zorn and his incredible self-confidence or...boastful pride? today. Also coincidentally, I chose an Anders Zorn painting for the cover of my quirky, funny, comic drama "Kismet," photo and link to Amazon up there on the left.)

Again, I started with a piece of the wrinkly, highly textured handmade/homemade recycled paper. The color made me think of this Zorn portrait and I set out to paint my take on it, super-limited "Zorn palette" of el cheapo gouache paints at the ready. Not that he used bottom of the line materials, but he did use a very limited palette of colors.

As the paper color was already the color of Zorn's jacket, I used the surface a la Coles Phillips, the fashion illustrator, who's "fade away girls" decorated countless ads and magazine covers of the early 1900's. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These recent gouache paintings are really great! I'm glad to see you give them a try again and the paper texture really adds a nice touch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brian. I think the paper texture--and the way speckles of the background color shine through--have a LOT to do with it. It's a good lesson to expand upon with all types of painting.

    ReplyDelete