About Time!

It's not so much that I haven't been drawing and painting, it's more about having to wait for the paint to dry for scanning. (My camera gave up the ghost a while ago.)  And about how, upon seeing a painting up on the screen, I'll notice a glaring problem and so decide to hold off for repair.
This time, I decided not to hold off, but to put it out there anyway:
8" x 10", water-mixable oils

The stiff, unnatural pose was not a mistake--this was from a very old photograph, and Stiff and Unnatural was evidently the way they posed.  Among the problems that stand out the most (to me right now) are: his right eye (on the left) is too bright and should have been in more shadow, especially the "white."
And his skin tone is too ruddy. (Been working out in the sun, sonny?) 
And his tie is crappily rendered.
I have yet to do any experimentation with glazing. Maybe now would be a good time, and provide a way to fix those things.

Comments

  1. Good call on the ruddy skin tone but I think it's a good work. Fleshtones are probrobly the hardest thing to master in painting and I suppose you are having to improvise since your reference is a B&W photo?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment