Ten Thousand Hours


Yale_Uninversity_Press_You_be_the_Judge_art_contest_2013_Brian_Neher_2.jpg

I can get lost in John Singer Sargent's watercolors. How can this happen? (A rhetorical question, I know how it happens. Years and years--what is it--ten thousand hours? of painting to produce works like this.)

I came across the photo of the watercolor, above, while reading Brian Neher's blog entry today. I scrolled up and down and up and down again a bunch of times, looking at those paintings. I can't wait to have some time to paint again, but the world's turning a little fast right now! 

For one thing, I'm in charge of a huge library book sale. It finally starts tomorrow; part of the Annual Whipple City Festival
And there will be a parade (with Grand Marshall President Abraham Lincoln--HEY--we don't fool around!) We have lots of parades in the small village of Greenwich (not to be confused with Greenwich Village)--parades that require floats, and so that's where my paint brushes have been of late:

...painting signs for floats. I won't be riding in the float, dressed as a dinosaur or a scientist, because I'll be down in the library book sale room, hopefully making the library tons of money selling used and donated books...and forever hoping to run across treasures like those Yale University Press books!

Comments