Flattened by Photoshop



Photograph. Photoshopped.

In my eternal quest to figure out how to paint the human face, I have been, mostly, painting from pictures that I find in magazines. It's convenient, and it doesn't involve "putting myself out there" where I am sure I'd face massive ridicule for my inability to paint a realistic face. Which is dumb, but it's the truth.

And I wonder why I can't paint a face that doesn't look flat and dead.

Now, much of this can be attributed to my lack of skill, but I think that my choice of reference photos is adding to my difficulties. It's hard to see contours, and to differentiate between planes of the face, when working from photos that have been stripped of all of their planes and contours. 



I resolve to do more sketching and painting from live models, 
and from my own photos.

Comments

  1. Go to a mall or park. Stare at people. Sketch them. Real life is always a million times more informative than a photo. There's too much information lost in a photo. Local coffee shops are also a good place to sketch real people. I often just flat out tell people I'm going to be staring at them because I'm sketching. They usually giggle nervously, but don't get up and leave. Your work is looking wonderful, but the next step is live models to make it really work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen. I know that I have to put myself out there and sketch and paint in public. But it's SO HARD! You're brave. I just imagine someone wanting to see what I've done--and then being upset. I know I shouldn't worry about things like this...I will try. I will try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment