A Reaffirmation

As promised, here is the update on a recent, unfinished piece.

Unfinished sketch
oh, dear
*Excuse me for a minute while I take a break to go through my old sketches and remind myself that I can once in a while do a sketch that doesn't turn out scary. ---intermission--- OK.!

This sketch experience lends credence to...

1. It's about OBSERVATION more than about what the pencil's doing on the paper. At least that's the way I see it. I went back into this sketch without my model, and what previously looked like a poor rendition of Cassidy became a poor rendition of...a weird baby doll? 

2. Sometimes it's best to know when to throw in the towel and start over! Which I'll try to do as soon as I can convince her to sit, again.


Comments

  1. A baby doll that's been in a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND here is where I Devil's Advocate myself: As I am not doing portrait sketches, watercolor houses and still lifes, and other artworks of late for anything other than to learn to do them better, maybe the "well enough alone" dictum doesn't hold up. My 2D artworks are done as learning experiences, and what better way to learn than to push them as far as I can before they teach me some kind of lesson?!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment