Reenactment: Who Knew...

I always learn something when I read the Muddy Colors illustration blog: sometimes a tip that I can put to immediate use, sometimes a hint or a technique that I'll sock away for later, always some sort of inspiration. Today's post dealt with using photo references. Apparently, successful illustrators poke about online to find photo references (along with posing and snapping friends and paid models) for making their illustrations more realistic, and thus, more successful.

There was mention of online images of Roman Reenactors which made me sit up and say, "Roman Reenactors"? There are Roman Reenactors? Yes, there are.

But why not? I'm aware of the Society for Creative Anachronism. (That's a club with a great name, in my opinion.) Are there people who reenact...most anything?

The answer seems to be YES. There are those who reenact the Iron Age, and those who reenact the Medieval Era and the Renaissance. There are those who reenact Tudor England and  Regency England and those who reenact both the Civil War and the Revolutionary War and even World War 1 and World War II.

But it doesn't stop there! You name it, there's a group to reenact it:

The Vietnam War (Or was that not technically a "war," but a "conflict"?)

and, yes, The Gulf War. I'm sure there are groups reenacting the current wars, but it depresses me to think about looking that up. 

Here's one last link that maybe someone else could use for reference.... So many photo references, so little time to draw.






Comments