Water and Charcoal and Hair

I did a little more work on yesterday's handsome fella from the Vogue pictorial. 
still wrong-side-of-paper-y, waffle-facey, but finished


This guy certainly has a wild, curly crop of hair, and I certainly had a bit of fun depicting it. It may not look absolutely realistic, but isn't that what artistic interpretation is all about?

You may notice that the blackest spot on the drawing is in his right eye (on the left.) It was a mistake. I kind of like it. A cold, adult beverage was on my windowsill (how did THAT get there!?!) while I was drawing, and apparently, the black charcoal pencil absorbed a bit of condensation. When I went to darken up the outline to his iris, the line came out as a dense, black blob, which I blotted up and then stared at. Hmm. Charcoal and water might be friends.

And I might have to go see Anna Karenina. Should I read it first, or not?

Comments

  1. Suzy, you nailed his expression beautifully. Wonderful tonal sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now if I can just nail an expression from life--rather than from a photo--I'll be very happy.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! This is really good. The hair is very well done, but I would have to say my favorite part is the extra white reflection in the right eye. It jumps out just a little bit more than any other white in the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! See today's post for more progress, due to your pencil suggestion!

      Delete
  3. The blob water toys I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment