Handsome's two weeks of volunteer excavating for the Keene Valley River Restoration Project is complete, and my camera is once again available. Remember the still life in progress?
For it's intent and purpose, as a learning piece, it's now done. I'm partly happy with it--the glass, ceramic and metals look OK. The nectarine does look like it's floating or maybe just cut out and pasted on, though, and I realize that the check perspective is all wrong. And I need to get a better handle on leaving some soft edges. Good information for next time.
To that end, here's my next still life setup.
At the river restoration site, I found a spot in the woods where the family had been throwing their refuse for years. Seems like a lot of long-established farms have such a spot. If I'd wanted to, I could have hauled home an old, rusty bike frame, an old, rusty iron bed, and a bunch of other things. But I resisted the temptation. I did fill up a small box with glass and ceramic shards, though, and I cleaned them up very carefully.
I've sketched out this array on watercolor paper, with the intention of making it a watercolor painting. My sketch (not shown) is from life, and it's not cropped as tightly as this photo. I like the crop, though, and might sketch it out on a cardboard panel to paint as another experiment with oils.