Works in Progress

This is the first and only time I'll illustrate a woman using the stippling method. Does it appear that these two have wicked razor burn? And that the woman on the left is somewhat alien? (and not entirely due to stippling.) Tip your head to the side and consider:




One alternative is to use lines similar to the way lines are used in scratchboard illustrations. This piece is unfinished, but at this stage, I like it a lot better than the previous illustration. Her neck looks shaded, not rashified:




I intend to finish her tomorrow, and then try a different method. This is part of my "MFA Program"--that is, to experiment with different ways and media in illustrating similar subjects. I've always been partial to B/W illustrations and maybe it's from my early career as a graphic artist in a (primarily) black and white print shop. I am drawn to pen and ink and scratchboard and block prints. 


But I'm also drawn to color illustrations. I just plain like, adore, admire awesome illustration!

Comments